Thursday, August 06, 2009

Walking with wet creatures.

It's been a while...did we even have Jessie Jane?

We now have two Labradors, black and beautiful. Willing walkers who harrass you in the evening if they haven't been out. Dallas gets up on the arm of my desk chair and pats me with her hand, it's odd, Jessie sits between my knees gazing up at me. I feel overcome with obligation, and love, but mostly obligation when it's cold and it's been chucking it down since 2pm, with thunder....

So 10:30pm I say "Who want's a walk?" and there's an avalanche of dogs down the stairs. When I get to the bottom, they are both waiting in the hallway like they'd been there all night. Incidentally, an avalanche of Labradors is called a Lab-a-lanche.

The girls and I hit the streets, it's pissing it down, there are huge puddles and it's already soaking through my jeans - but oddly it feels good to be out. Since I stopped going to work in November, I value any amount of time I get on my own, I don't have contemplative time any more, I have home-time, and it's not the same. And right now, it's the school holidays, so everything I do involves Dylan coming with me, including trips to the bathroom. It's stressful. Nice to be with them all, but stressful all the same.

So out in the night, in the rain with my girls, we walk down the street, turn right on the old railway bridge and down the big hill, then right at the bottom in to town. Our usual walk, they know the drill, we sit at every road and wait for non-existent cars to pass....I feel like I am teaching them to cross the road safely, but let out on their own they'd be drunk with the freedom and forget everything I taught them anyway. Oh well.

On through the town. Now will someone tell me why there are so many people out? It's Thursday, it's raining really hard, it's not the weekend and this isn't central London, but yet there are groups of people, silly little girls in mini-skirts and t-shirts, carry inadequate umbrellas, all over the place, and the usual crowds of semi-plastered young men ignoring them. Seems to me that the females do a lot more chasing than the males do at this age. When they get older, it will reverse. I am so glad I am not in that whole mating game scene any more. We had our 10th anniversary last month. wow, ten whole years. Over a quarter of my life with this man.

Anyway...the girls are splashing in puddles and I am hoping they don't jump up anyone and get there pretty party clothes wet, I bet these girls will fight if they have to - the human ones, not my Labs, my Labs have manners.

It was a nice walk. I had to dry them both when I got home, and I am sitting damp and slightly chilled now, Dan wants to fool around, but I need a bath. I am gritty and dirty feeling. The girls are flat out asleep under my desk. They love me because I feed and walk them, it's pretty obvious. Dogs are honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Official Fan Site of Dexter
Offical Fan Site of Dexter
Official Fan Site of Dexter
Offical Fan Site of Dexter